APEL.C is a mechanism to recognize prior experiential learning of students that has been identified as relevant and has achieved Course Learning Outcomes (CLO) for a particular course.
In other words, APEL.C allows learning based on prior experiences in the form of knowledge and skills acquired through formal learning and/or non-formal learning and/or informal learning, to be credited and transferred to replace equivalent courses.
For the purpose of validation and recognition, the prior experiential learning of students will be reviewed and assessed by a trained assessment panel.
1. Recognizing learning acquired from work experiences and short courses attended;
2. Reducing redundant learning for students;
3. Encouraging the entry of mature candidates into higher education programs;
4. Reducing costs and time to complete studies.
Higher Education Providers (HEPs) wishing to implement APEL.C must adhere to the following APEL.C policy:
1. APEL.C can be applied to registered students using both conventional and APEL.A entry;
2. The assessment of learning includes learning acquired through Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) or any self-directed learning methods;
3. PPTs can implement APEL.C only after obtaining MQA approval through an APEL.C application;
4. APEL.C can be implemented for all fields and levels of qualifications as stated in the Malaysian Qualifications Framework. The implementation of APEL.C
for postgraduate level is limited to coursework-based courses and mixed mode;
5. APEL.C can only be implemented for courses in programs that have obtained at least Temporary Accreditation; and
6. Courses in professional programs can be considered for APEL.C with the approval of the relevant professional body. PPTs are responsible for obtaining this
Generally, the policy for credit award through APEL.C allows a maximum transfer of 30% of the total graduate credit hours of a program. This percentage is in addition to the existing credit transfer policy provision.
The implementation of APEL.C is also applicable to Executive Diploma programs. The granting of 30 credits based on 3 years of work experience as stipulated in the Executive Diploma Standard must be carried out through assessment using the APEL.C instrument.
APEL (C) application is open to all students who have been accepted into NDUM and have complied with the following conditions:
1. The applicant has registered as a NDUM student;
2. Has not previously applied for APEL (C) for the relevant prior experience; and
3. Is applying for APEL (C) credit transfer for courses not previously taken.